As a way to both introduce you to BJ and show you that he's got good horror movie taste and thus, that you should have no worries about him taking over the franchise for this next installment, I reached out to him and asked if he wanted to whip up a top 10 movies to watch in October type post for you all here on Freddy In Space, which he was kind enough to do. So get to know BJ McDonnell by checking out a list of 10 movies that he describes as "films that inspired me growing up. Films that had a big effect on me as a kid and I still love today." Here are McDonnell's must watch horror movies around this time of the year!
1."Hellraiser" - I seriously think this is some fucked up shit. Especially the ending where home boy is all getting ripped apart and says "Jesus Wept". Crazy.
2."The Thing" - I have always been a fan of John Carpenter. Watching his version of The Thing still stands out to this day and really holds up. Love it. The guy's head that sprouts spider legs and crawls off. Good times good times!!
3. "Halloween" - I love John's Version and Rob Zombie's version (not because I did it). I just dig the story and I think Michael Myers is one creepy cat. There is something scary about a guy in a mask that says nothing and is a brutal killer.
4. "An American Werewolf In London" - This film tripped me out as a kid. I always think of this movie and how great the FX are and still are to this day. Rick Baker and his transformation of David Naughton into the werewolf was so good. No CGI, just practical awesome FX makeup.
5. "A Nightmare On Elm St." - The original is so good!!! When I was a kid I actually built a Freddy Krueger out of my old clothes and the crappy halloween glove you could buy. My mom one night came in to check on me and saw this life size Freddy standing against the wall. She thought it was a dude who broke into the house. I woke up to my mom beating the crap out of this fake Freddy Krueger.
6. "Poltergeist" - I dunno, I was really effected as a young kid to how great the FX were on this movie and how insane the family really is. Watch this film and watch the family. It's funny. I love the scene where the tree is eating the young kid. Holy shit that gave me nightmares.
7. "Evil Dead II" - You really can't get anymore bad ass than this film. I can't even count how many times I've watched this film. I love it and I love it still.
8. "The Exorcist" - I love William Friedkin. He is just a killer guy and a great director. The scene where she comes down the stairs on all fours inverted is just amazing. The cold breath and freaky look to it. Love it!!!
9. "The Blob" - I love the 1988 version of this movie. I love the scene where the guy in the police station is getting eaten by the blob and you actually see his skin melt inside the blob as he is reaching out and trying to be saved. As a kid that was horrifying.
10. "Pet Sematary" - OK yep I have to say I love when Gage slices open Fred's tendon on his heel with the blade. Oh that kid was so creepy. And as a actor that age doing such great work was really impressive.